The town of Dullstroom dates back to the 1880’s when a group of people in Holland
Two farms -
Initially, these settlers were discouraged by the ‘eternal mists and everlasting cold’ and total lack of civilised amenities : there were no houses and the nearest shop and post office was at Bergendal some 25 kilometers away. They also found the land to be less fertile than expected and there was no local market for their produce. In 1887 the settlement consisted of 48 inhabitants, 8 houses, 3 stables and 10 cattle kraals. W C Janson’s Boeren Handelsvereeninging shop was the community’s sole general dealer.
Dullstroom was awarded formal town status on 9 October 1893 by President Paul Kruger and by the end of the following year had a population of 100.
During the guerilla phase of the Second Anglo-
Dullstroom’s European heritage can be illustrated by the wonderful array of deciduous trees amongst which are beeches, lindens, cherry and others planted a century ago ! Corner stones of some surviving buildings date back to 1890 or even earlier and in the historic cemetery Irish, Dutch and English surnames testify to a varied community.
The Dutch settlers erected a memorial stone to commemorate the original director
founders of Dullstroom but the stone was damaged in 1901 during the Anglo-
Much of the historical content on these pages has been obtained from a small booklet, without details of author or date, but which is believed to have been produced by Dullstroom Town Council in 1993 to celebrate Dullstroom’s centenary.